Wednesday 20 May 2015

Do Something New

During Dementia Awareness Week the Alzheimer's Society are running a campaign #DoSomethingNew. The initiative is being run because a diagnosis of dementia doesn't mean stopping doing the things you love or trying something new.

The idea was inspired by Ken, Margaret and Ian, who took steps towards fulfilling a life-long dream or ambition. Ken had been a singer from a young age, and after his diagnosis of dementia in 2011, decided to take his singing to the next level, and in April 2015 he sang at Newcastle United FC for the X Factor!

The Alzheimer's Society are inviting all of us to #DoSomethingNew and share our photos, stories etc with them.

On Monday I fulfilled my #DoSomethingNew pledge. I have been performing with the HMS Heron Royal Navy Volunteer Band for the past 2 years, but I haven't plucked up the courage to march (I was heavily pregnant this time last year so I did have an excuse!) But on Monday evening I set out in my waterproofs with my clarinet and got stuck in.

It was drummed into me to 'always start on the left foot' and off we went! For the first piece I focussed purely on marching, keeping in time and staying in line with my fellow band members, they say that women can multi task, but this was taking it to a whole new level. For the second piece I plucked up my courage to play and march, so what if I lost my place halfway through, or my feet went out of sequence and I dragged behind, the main thing is that I did it! And with a bit (OK, a lot!) more practise I think I will be a marching pro in no time...

If you are in the Plymouth area come and see us take part in the Royal Navy Volunteer Band Festival on Sunday 28th June, and you can see me put my parading prowess into practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment